Visual Analysis of UN Flight Emissions Data
Axis Group's submission to the 2019 Qlik Qonnections Hackathon.
We were given 4 weeks to design and build a solution for the United nations that would help them reduce travel-related CO2 emissions at the point of decision-making, so that they can reach their goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2020.
- Forward-thinking to make better decisions around air travel management
- Follow methodologies developed by the UN, UNFCCC and ICAO
- Identify top 20 CO2 emissions contributors (meeting, country, airport, person)
- Include ability to choose best meeting location based on reduced costs and/or CO2 emissions
- Show incentives for departments to reduce CO2 by choosing alternative form oftransportation (i.e. train from Boston to New York City vs. flight.)
- Include ability to determine if there are a lot of flights to a particular location, then perhaps a local office investment is warranted
- Show trends and offset calculations to charge carbon offset amount back to department booking ticket
- Historical analysis of past flight data, to understand who and what the largest contributors were to flight emissions, where the most common flights were, and what routes were emitting the most CO2.
- Carbon calculator to calculate the most carbon-efficient route or meeting location
- Carbon challenge to gamify the challenge of flying less.
To see a live version of our submission, visit the demo here.
The Carbon Challenge
Let's make meaning together.